Monday 9 May 2011

Tuesday, 10th May 1949

Dear Diary,

I really look forward to gaining just a few pounds after all these years of food rationing. I have to say that most of us do look rather bony.  Luckily putting on a little bit of weight (not too much of course) will just be a little easier now as sweets rationing has come to an end a couple of weeks ago.  And it might even help me sell a few more of my beautiful corsets… after all they do serve a function too!

One would not believe but this morning the queue outside Mr Simpkin’s grocery shop stretched right around the corner, almost into the next street! I sent Lucy along to fetch some candy as a special treat for the salon girls. I really wanted to thank them for organising that marvellous surprise birthday party for me. Lucy returned giggling like a giddy schoolgirl! She said that she had to wait for three hours to be served. But what a treat!

The buffet spread that Grace had prepared for the party a couple of weeks ago had been splendid, yet I did wonder how she managed it. Eventually I just couldn’t resist asking her about the recipe of the birthday cake she made. (The cake was unlike anything I had tasted before).  Being the good friend Grace is she agreed to share the recipe!  I must try making it myself one day…

VICTORY CAKE

2 cups of seeded raisins
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Allspice
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 cups of cold water
3 tbs. Butter
2 cups sugar
3 tbs. cocoa

Method:
Boil together the butter, seeded raisons, sugar, and cold water for 5 minutes. Let cool. Sift together flour and all other dry ingredients including the cocoa. Mix the boiled ingredients and the flour mixture together until blended. Grease and dust with flour a 10" cake tin. Place the batter in the cake tin. Bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours. In the last 1/2 hour, cover with foil to prevent burning. (candied cherries may be added, if desired.)

No comments:

Post a Comment