Tuesday 22 November 2011

Saturday 19th November 1949

Dear Diary,

Gee whiz! The boutique was astonishingly busy for a Saturday morning.  I think I must have sold every scrap of red material in the shop!  Several young ladies had formed a queue each asking for anything red in stock, dresses, scarves, hats or accessories.  Doreen and I considered this flurry of customers as a most peculiar occurrence, but as the day unfolded all became delightfully clear.

Mr. Fitzpatrick, the proprietor of the Winkle Picker nightclub has a nephew by the name of William.   He appeared at the salon just before we closed, with a red face and panting as if he had run all the way.  After taking a moment to catch his breath, William explained that the headline act for tonight’s show had cancelled and I was required to perform for the “Fire Cracker Show”.  The dress code for ladies is strictly RED.  How bizarre!  I was thrilled for another chance to sing, but horrified when I realized that there was simply nothing in red left to wear!   Thank goodness for Doreen, who very graciously lent me her red Ella Dress and selected gloves and a cute beret to accessorize in black. 


The Winkle Picker Club certainly observed a strict dress code and only allowed ladies wearing red to enter.  How extraordinary it was to see every girl wearing a red dress!  I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself when I recognized several faces from the queue at the boutique!  There’s something so magically sensual about a fantastically figure hugging red dress.  Yet remarkable to see so many appear at one function, decidedly daring!  I say!  The War is most definitely over!

No comments:

Post a Comment