Monday 19 December 2011

Monday, 19th December 1949

Dear Diary,

Brrrrrr!!  The chilly winter weather is most definitely closing in.  There was a little flurry of sleet on my way to work this morning and I nearly slipped on the icy pavement as I got off the bus.  Thank goodness the coal man arrived to fill up the bunker.  Our regular chap is Mr. Stanley, an almost terrifying creature with piercing pale grey eyes gleaming out of a cheerful face blackened by coal dust.  The poor chap was bent double under the weight of the coal sack.  I always make Mr. Stanley a cup of tea when he delivers to the salon. 

Curiously our dear coalman has inspired me to give the salon girls a make over.  I’m going to issue a new staff uniform and introduce the Eliza & Ethan Black Pencil Skirt with grey pleat detail at the front.  The combination of pale grey against a luxurious black seems terribly elegant and formal for daily wear at the salon and can be successfully complimented with a variety of blouses in different styles or colours.

Some lovely new winter warmers have arrived for the boutique, so I spent the rest of the day busying myself arranging the mannequins.  These wonderfully stylish Izzy Bow cardigans in black or fire are an absolute must for any winter wardrobe.  Of course as any fashionable lady knows it’s simply imperative to be able to keep warm in style!   I’ve spotted quite a few ladies about town wearing a fuller skirt these days. Maybe the end of fabric rationing has motivated the start of a new trend?  So I’m thinking ahead and I’ve come to the conclusion that one can never have enough petticoats!  As the winter chill takes hold I’m sure that I’ll be wearing at least two at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment