Friday 9 September 2011

Friday, 9th September 1949

Dear Diary,

During my solo performance last Friday night at The Winkle Picker Club, I glimpsed the sleek silhouettes of Grace and Anne-Marie cross the dance floor.  Each wearing a floral print Halter neck Swing Dress. Oh my they looked so glamorous!  The club was exceptionally busy that night and so thick with cigarette smoke that it was a trial not to choke mid chorus!  They both waved discreetly as I began the third verse of  “Honeysuckle Rose”.

Later, searching the crowded club I discovered Grace and Anne-Marie sitting in the corner with a mysterious gentleman.  The girls seemed almost surprised to see me. I sensed that I had interrupted something scandalous.

The smart looking chap was completely charming, introducing himself as a Mr. Dan Doyle who very gallantly offered me his seat.  When Dan departed in search of a vacant chair, Grace and Anne-Marie started to giggle uncontrollably.

Dan proclaimed to work in the film industry and proceeded to tantalize the girls with promises of  “getting them into movies”.  “A talent scout is always on the lookout for star material” he crooned.  Things almost began to sound genuine when Dan insisted that he could literally “open doors” towards the silver screen. 

Anne-Marie was becoming quite taken in by the smooth talking Dan, but Grace happened to notice that his shoes appeared to be rather old and scuffed.  Surely a gentleman of status would be wearing smart brogues?  Fair play to any fellow who tries everything to impress a gal, but Dan’s chat up line ventured dangerously towards desperation!  Of course, Grace eventually prized out the truth and Dan finally confessed that he’s only the projectionist from the Ritzy Cinema! 

No comments:

Post a Comment