Tuesday 30 August 2011

Tuesday, 30th August 1949

Dear Diary,

Phew! What a scorcher! The sun has been blazing this week, so Grace and I decided to escape from the salon and take a day trip to Brighton.  We awoke at the crack of dawn and packed a delicious picnic basket with cheese and pickle sandwiches, potted meats, celery sticks and a few cup cakes for good measure.  Grace insisted that we slipped a bottle of sherry into the basket to enjoy a cheeky tipple whilst sun bathing.  We caught the early train and giggled continuously throughout the journey, we were so looking forward to our jolly day at the beach! 

For the sake of modesty and convenient practicality I thought it prudent to wear swimsuits underneath one’s clothes. Upon our arrival at the beach we simply slipped off our skirts and blouses ready to sunbathe in an instant.  Grace looked fabulous in her red Esther Williams swimsuit with white polka dots, whilst I felt terribly glamorous wearing a white Esther Williams bikini with the cute cherries print. 

It wasn’t long before two burly lifeguards were throwing admiring glances in our direction.  The chaps boldly approached and engaged us in polite conversation, introducing themselves as Hank and Butch. I must say I was rather impressed with such fine examples of muscle bound physique.  However, it quickly transpired that the handsome beefcakes were more interested in the line of our swimwear rather than admiring our feminine curves.  The chaps wanted to buy the swimsuits as presents for their sweethearts, so I happily furnished them with my business card.  I really don’t mind mixing business with pleasure!

Before meeting the train for our journey home, Grace and I took a stroll along the pier as the sun was setting.  We were at once accosted by a fortune telling gypsy, so I crossed her palm with half a crown and in return a tantalizing vision of the future was foretold.  Apparently I am destined to marry a millionaire!

Model: Stephanie Jay; Photography: Ian Malone Photography; Make up: Charli Gladwin

Model: Stephanie Jay; Photography: Ian Malone Photography; Make up: Charli Gladwin

No comments:

Post a Comment