Sunday 23 October 2011

Sunday, 23rd October 1949


Dear Diary,

A very disturbing incident today has left me bewitched, bothered and bewildered. A dozen red roses were delivered to the salon this morning, along with a note that read; “Can’t I tempt you?”  Obviously, another romantic gesture from Lord Anthony Parker Bowles.  I unravelled the wrapping paper but was completely shocked to discover a stunning diamond necklace entwined amidst the rose stems.  Oh my golly gosh!  The necklace must have been worth a fortune!  Carefully, I disentangled the necklace from the roses and held them against my wrist.  Oh my goodness, the diamonds sparkled so fabulously.  Well, Lord Anthony must be really keen to give such a valuable gift!  I put the gems into the till for safekeeping.

After lunch, a silver Bentley arrived outside the salon.  Lord Anthony himself stepped out from the driver’s side and made his way towards the entrance.   I thought it rather odd that he was driving, perhaps it’s the chauffeur’s day off, I wondered?  He approached me with arms wide open.  I pecked him on the cheek and thanked him for the wonderful bouquet.  Immediately, Lord Anthony inquired after the diamond necklace, which I dutifully retrieved from the till.  Laughing, he insisted that I should wear the diamonds and proceeded to fasten the necklace around my throat.

Suddenly, a police car arrived at the top of the street with lights flashing and sirens screaming.  Lord Anthony dashed for the door, clutching the diamond necklace.  Everybody in the salon gasped as he jumped into the Bentley and sped off, tyres screeching as the police car gave chase.

The next thing I remember was coming around on the floor of the salon, with Anne-Marie wafting some smelling salts under my nose.  Oh dear, I must have fainted!  A policeman stood beside her and asked me if I wouldn’t mind making a statement.  Such a commotion!  Lord Anthony it seems is an impostor!  Not a Lord, but an escaped convict and a con artist wanted for armed robbery and diamond smuggling!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment