Wednesday 12 October 2011

Wednesday, 12th October 1949


Dear Diary,

Am I in heaven? Today has been an incredibly glamorous yet most intriguing sort of a day.  An unexpected romantic encounter this afternoon has left my head in a whirl. Everything appears to be perfect but there’s something mysterious about Lord Anthony Parker-Bowles.  Nevertheless, I find him strangely tantalizing!

The prettiest little gift-wrapped package arrived by courier at the salon this morning.  The girls gathered around as I untied the gold ribbons to find the sweetest porcelain pendant with a painted rose motif.  Attached to the inside of the wrapping was an embossed invitation to meet Lord Anthony for high tea at The Ritz!!!  The salon girls shrieked so loudly with excitement that an elderly customer under the hair dryer started to panic. The poor dear thought that the Blitz had started again.

A silver Bentley arrived outside the salon at three o’clock sharp.  I emerged suitably attired for tea at The Ritz.   The perfect choice was the sophisticated yet fashionable figure hugging Eliza & Ethan Greta Dress, in navy blue with the neat turquoise detail. Of course the essential accessory to complete the look was the rose necklace gift.

I must say that Lord Anthony looked very smart in his dark grey suit and yellow cravat as he greeted me at the entrance to The Ritz.  He was particularly delighted to see me wearing the rose necklace.  High tea was served in the Palm Court, with smoked salmon sandwiches and fancy cakes served together on a three-tier stand, simply sumptuous! 

Such extravagance, any gal would be completely overwhelmed by Lord Anthony’s lavish attentions.  However, when he divulged that The Arlington Suite had been reserved for us, I felt that Lord Anthony was becoming overly presumptuous and moving things along rather too quickly for my liking.  Of course I’m not that sort of girl, so I thanked him for an unforgettable date but gracefully declined his suggestion of afternoon delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment