Sunday 22 January 2012

Monday, 23rd January 1950

Dear Diary,

Oh my goodness! Doreen caused quite a stir when she arrived for work this morning. She was absolutely thrilled to present her new acquisition, ‘Poochie’ the Pug puppy.  Two adorable shiny button eyes blinked nervously as the cutest little pink tongue popped out of a squashed black face, licking everyone who gathered around to say hello.  How novel that Doreen had thought of carrying her puppy in her handbag!  I say this idea could well catch on as quite the latest handbag accessory! Ladies with lap dogs often have to put up with unsightly dog hairs spoiling their coats and skirts.  One can be sure that all types of doggy do’s can be safely contained when a pampered pooch is transported conveniently in one’s handbag!

However, things got rather out of hand when Doreen decided to put down her handbag as she hung up her coat. Poochie promptly leapt out and before anyone could say ‘Jack Robinson’ the naughty puppy was scampering towards the open front door!  Doreen shrieked as the little pug escaped into the street and nearly got trampled by the milkman’s horse.  Luckily, the runaway pup made a beeline towards Dudley’s garage across the street, so I followed in hot pursuit.

Thankfully, Dudley was working underneath a red Morgan convertible sports car and caught Poochie the Pug as he dived into the service pit.  Phew! Dudley emerged clutching Poochie in his oil stained hands. The little rascal was panting loudly with his tongue hanging out and wagging his tail. “Thank goodness!” I exclaimed as Dudley handed over the troublesome creature.

“Jolly nice catch Dudley, old bean!” said a well to do voice.  I turned around to face a handsome R.A.F. Officer smiling at me, obviously the owner of the sports car. “I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, I suppose” Dudley smirked.  “I say, aren’t we just? Jolly pleased to meet you my dear, Squadron Leader Jeremy Hunt at your service”. As Jeremy smiled my heart skipped a beat. “I’m Betty, pleased to meet you too”, I murmured. Our eyes met and I fell into the cool blue lake of Jeremy’s gaze.  The spell was broken as Poochie started to yap uncontrollably when Doreen arrived to put him back in her handbag.

No comments:

Post a Comment