Sunday 5 February 2012

Sunday, 5th February 1950

Dear Diary,

Thank heavens for the Winkle Club, my one Saturday night sanctuary of sheer escapism! There I can sing on the stage and dream of a more glamorous lifestyle with no need to worry about dreary old rationing. Generally speaking though, since the end of clothes rationing last year I must say that I’ve enjoyed wearing a fuller skirt. That’s why I was delighted to show off my latest style with the side effects Polka Dot Dress for my sultry solo stage spot.

I do so admire Marlene Dietrich for singing numbers normally associated with male performers, that’s why I chose to sing "One For My Baby" to close the first act as a tribute to my heroine. The Chicos del Liso Band with a shockingly up beat session that really brought the house down accompanied the final number. A rowdy party of RAF boys, all having such a swell time on the dance floor, populated the club that evening.  The girls were totally swept off their feet!

After the show I colluded with the band at the cocktail bar, as we always do, in a toast to the success of the show.  Later, a familiar well to do voice called out my name and I was enthralled to discover the dashing R.A.F fellow I met at Dudley’s garage! Jeremy was sporting a topper moustache above his lovely smile and once again I dived straight into his cool blue eyes.  He very gallantly asked me to dance and of course I had to oblige, his skillful maneuvers almost made me swoon.

Later Jeremy offered to give me a ride home in his red Morgan convertible sports car, conveniently parked outside the club. Luckily I had popped a silk headscarf into my handbag earlier, so I was very glad to have it and slipped it over my hair before we sped off. Curiously, Jeremy took a wrong turning and we found ourselves parked on the Waterloo Bridge where I allowed him to steal a few kisses under the moonlight. Oh my, he is so very wonderful and I’m such a lucky girl to be courted by a dashing fighter pilot war hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment