Friday 12 August 2011

Friday, 12th August 1949

Dear Diary,

Oh my! I’m having such a swell time!  Last Friday night was my first ever cabaret performance at The Winkle Picker Club with the band Los Chicos del Liso.  The evening had a nautical theme “Enchantment under the Sea”.  So the whole band was dressed very smartly as naval captains with peaked caps and gold braided blazers complete with epaulettes.  I was thrilled to be wearing an adorable sailor girl number with a fabulous full skirt and petticoats. Skirts ahoy!

The fancily dressed audience danced the night away and their applause was stupendous, the atmosphere was electric! I was so terribly nervous to begin with but once I got out there on stage and started to sing I had so much fun, I didn’t want the evening to end.  Two handsome fellows (who may very well have been real sailors judging by their neatly pressed uniforms) whisked me away from the microphone for a few twirls on the dance floor before gallantly returning me to the stage! The club was certainly swinging!

After the show, the Chicos and I celebrated at the cocktail bar with Mr Fitzpatrick who was chuffed to bits.  The club had sold out that night so the champagne was over flowing.  There’s going to be a fancy dress party every month, so next time the band will be on stage in safari outfits sporting a jungle theme.  Manuel the guitarist suggested that they should wear monkey suits instead. Everyone roared with laughter when Mr Fitzpatrick suggested that one of the Chicos should dress up as Tarzan and carry me off the stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment