Tuesday 2 August 2011

Tuesday, 2nd August 1949

Dear Diary,

Oh how exciting!  My audition at the Winkle Picker Club was a total hit!  I had such fun meeting the eight-piece swing big band “Los Chicos del Liso” (The Smooth Guys) and so thrilled that I had chosen to sing ‘A Guy is a Guy’ with them.  The chaps are a fascinatingly maverick bunch of well-traveled fellows, all refugees since the Spanish Civil War apparently.  This tightly knit group of contemporary musicians still retains a flamenco root I’m so lucky to audition with musicians that add a flurry of gypsy passion fused with the jazz.  Each ‘Chico’ appeared smartly suited and devilishly handsome with a perfectly groomed Latin flair.  I couldn’t help noticing that most of them wore a wedding ring, just as well methinks!

Mr. Fitzpatrick the Proprietor was most definitely impressed, so I’ll be working the Friday night shows with the ‘Chicos’ band from now on!  Me oh my! Who knows what could happen?  Gosh! My secret wish has started to come true!  This could be the start of a glamorous new era on the stage!  Something was mentioned about pulling a few strings toward that elusive recording contract or West End audition.  Fingers crossed, before very long a talent scout or a movie producer could discover me.  Steady on!  Mustn’t get too ahead of oneself, my first show is this Friday!

Ooh so many preparations to make! I simply must become absolutely preened and polished at the salon over the next few days.  Doreen could do a special permanent wave for me and now that Anne Marie has perfected her manicure techniques she can give me the full treatment.  Oh and what to wear?  I wonder if I’ll have time to make something long and elegant in black satin, similar to the gown that Lola Falana was wearing?  Maybe I’ll go for the
Dolly Circle
dress?  Oh my Gosh!  I simply mustn’t be seen wearing the same outfit on stage twice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment